Dispose of your Unneeded Medication
Below is a public service announcement from our school nurse, Mary Manin. For those of you who have been unsure of how to dispose of unneeded medication, the 6 steps to safety will help you know what is currently best practice. Mrs. Manin received this information from the NH Department of Environmental Services. Click Here for more details.
6-Steps to Safety
- Pour medicine into a sealable plastic bag.
- If the medicine is a solid, add a small amount of water to dissolve it.
- Add any undesirable substance (such as dirt, coffee grounds, or kitty litter) to the liquid medicine in the plastic bag.
- Seal the bag and immediately dispose of it in the trash for regular pick-up.
- Use marker to blackout any personal contact information on the empty medicine container prior to disposing of it in the trash.
- For more information consult http://www.nh.gov/medsafety.
Do not flush medicine down the toilet unless accompanying product information instructs that it is safe to do so. Don’t keep unneeded medications in the home.
For more information or in case of an accidental poisoning, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222.